Felix In Hollywood

A Blog for the Smart Set

Friday, August 13, 2010

The Many Moods And Stylings Of Ted Shawn

To speak the names Ruth St. Denis and Ted Shawn is to speak of the origins of Modern Dance in the United States.  Their Denishawn school and dance troupe are responsible for training the great names in Modern Dance of Martha Graham, Doris Humphrey, and Charles Weidman, not to mention Louise Brooks.

They were just your ordinary, every day, average American Couple:



But what most people don't know is that Ted Shawn (1891-1972) was also a master impersonator:

Ted Shawn as Auntie Mame

Ted Shawn as Diana Ross

Ted Shawn as Marlene Dietrich

Ted Shawn as Cher (the Cherokee years)

Ted Shawn as Aimee Semple McPherson


He just loved doing Ross

Ted Shawn as a high fashion model

Ted Shawn as Anna May Wong in Piccadilly

Ted Shawn as the great Mahalia Jackson

Ted Shawn as Swanson in Sunset Blvd.

Ted Shawn as Adam....and Eve







And in what was perhaps his greatest creation -


Ted Shawn as Josephine Baker!




























Ted Shawn would like to thank you.

10 comments:

AK said...

What a cutie! I remember reading about him in a biography of Louise Brooks and he really sounded like a cool, creative guy!

normadesmond said...

i think he's lip-syncing to "i'm livin' in shame" in that second diana photo.

Donna Lethal said...

Yes I first read about him in that Lulu book too.

Ok, I have google home page with all of our favorite blogs set up on it, and they list the first few posts on each. Well, I haven't had enough coffee yet, so I thought this said, "The Many Moods and Stylings of Dick Shawn."

Philip Mershon said...

He may be next!

jason said...

you got me to LOL on the Mahalia Jackson.

Philip Mershon said...

I thought of you when I was doing that one!

kabuki zero said...

It's nice to see that he owned at least one pair of slacks.

Stephen said...

Even as a civilian, I know quite a bit about Modern Dance, but I am a bit shocked that you are intimating that Mr Shawn might possibly have been a homosexual. I spent a certain amount of time with him in the 1960s & he never tried to suck my cock...

He did say:
"I believe that dance communicates man’s deepest, highest & most truly spiritual thoughts & emotions far better than words, spoken or written."

I did a tribute Denishawn when I appeared in SPICE ON ICE- THE ALL MALE-ALL NUDE ICE SKATING REVUE in Vegas.

I always love stopping by Felix In Hollywood. It makes me feel that I am part of the SMART SET>

The Cool Cookie said...

And we thank Mr. Ted Shawn for entertaining us, today.

JANN said...

these were great, love the Josephine Baker - I needed the LOL